Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, June 22, 2007

A Belated Father's Day Gift

Our routine involves a wake-up around 7:00 a.m. at which time we both take a whiz. Sometimes we are up and sometimes we go back until Buster hears the Feglers' coming to feed their cattle-he has to supervise. So I enjoyed my coffee while he was being official. He was gone quite awhile and when I went looking for him the screen door was blocked. He had caught and fetched me a prairie dog. It was intact, (but newly dead) and it was obviously a love offering. I thanked him and praised him, fed him breakfast. (And wrapped the prairie dog in a bag and put it in the trash) Sshh. I was touched. I wanted him to think we were having it for dinner so I got him a barbeque sandwich from KFC.

The motorhome is taking more time than I thought. It started and ran but there was a wisp of smoke coming from under it, so the hose came out. I restarted it after it cooled and wrapped the engine and was amazed to see charcoaled plum pits shooting out of the tail pipe. Some dirty rat or mouse had moved in and squatted in my motorhome. So the doghouse came off the engine and I got some Gunk and cleaned the engine and checked the air filter. I ran it with the doghouse off and watched for smoke. I think we are OK. I am thinking a professional once over might be in order when I take it to town for fuel. I decided to take the computer out and use a laptop when/if I travel in it. It is a hotbox when it is 91 degrees out so I was running the air conditioner while cleaning- popped a fuse. My cord is plenty big but it is a good run to the rig. Something needs adjusting. I really like motorhomes. My usual reaction is "who needs more than this?" Everything is in a small space, and it can be cleaned in an hour- except when it has been sitting. Then it takes three days.

I got email from Paula who went to see her sister who is taking training for Delta Airlines in Chicago. She is going to send pictures. My roving correspondent. I love Chicago or I love my memories of Chicago. Haven't been there for four years but I have been there about every 10 years in my lifetime. The first time was in the late 1940's. We stayed at the Drake for a week. One day we heard the maid shrieking and carrying on. A guest had brought their chihuahua and the poor maid thought she had encountered the biggest rat she had ever seen. She got the vapors.