Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Cool Day if 72 degrees F is cool

Mostly puttered around setting up camp and TRYING to get my kitchen counter cleared off. Made progress but a stranger couldn't tell. Too much stuff! Made it to the Gatehouse to order the "honey wagon" tomorrow. For six bucks somebody comes around and empties the waste tanks. A bargain in my book. The Canadians have a designated person in their crowd who goes to each of their trailers and unhooks the wheeled storage tanks they use, hooks it to his bicycle and hauls it to the dump station. I find this whole process hilarious as people using all kinds of tow vehicles make their way with blue tanks of toxic sludge to the drain. For me the anonymity of a paid soul is well worth the price. Don't want to meet him, don't want to shake hands. Last year my site was on the road to the dump station and I saw some "tragic accidents" that made me laugh for hours.

Talked with the maintenance man who was mowing the lawn and gave him a cold Coke. He told me FEMA was going to install sewers and put in 35 RV sites with trailers right across from my site which is now a big playground. I have been processing this information all day. When I was out at Lake Okeechobee last year a whole string of FEMA trailers were out there. Mostly migrants displaced by last year's hurricanes. I had concerns about the safety of my property. I don't know if this was fear and prejudice or justified. This park is very well run and we see a Palm Beach County Sheriff's car at least four times a day. It will be an interesting experiment/experience. There is one person directly across the playground who has a $250,000 plus RV and a Hummer and two Dobermans. I would say his reaction is going to be predictable. I enjoyed meeting the maintenance man. He was Hispanic with an accent- from Massachusetts! He said this was the third time that Congress Avenue had been repaved in the last 18 months. It has failed inspection each time. Told me how to get to the main post-office in 5 minutes. Always pays to visit with the locals a bit.

Met the kids at their new house- they need to be out of the condo and into this place by January 4 and it is going to be close! The tile people had screwed up-they specified a random pattern and they got a chessboard. Lori was not pleased. A do-over on the morrow I am sure. Lori is off to Texas for her family Christmas on Thursday. Jason is going to miss it for the first time with all that is going on. He wants me to go to his boss's holiday party but I do not see that as career enhancing for him. We will see.

We went to dinner at Romano's Macaroni Grill and had a nice visit. I got lost on the way because the turn signals on the Jeep are on the blink and I chickened out on a lane change. Had a great cup of coffee after dinner which is why this is being typed at 2:00 am. Saw a great bumpersticker on my way home: "If I wanted to listen to the crap coming from your stereo, I would be sitting in your car."