Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, December 19, 2005

Busy Day in dystopia

At home- two time zones away I am the local slug-a-bed. In Florida with warm air and the eastern time zone, I was waiting for the Laundromat to open. What with the well freezing back home and lots to do before I left- the dirty laundry was brought to Florida in a garbage bag. What seemed appropriate to wear then were not all wise choices but the lot is clean. I was back home, laundry done, Bacon egg and cheese biscuits for all residents, before the Wyoming offices were were even open.

Alas, I had to bug Casper again for a Social Security number and the Riverton Office time sheets were not here but those problems were remedied as well as a couple of other issues that had come up. The humidity played havoc with my laser printer feeding the checks so the payroll checks for some look a little weird- I think still cashable. The mail was another problem. One entrance to the park is closed and the other empties onto Congress which like its namesake is so dysfunctional as to be useless at this time-paving. In short, I could not turn left after going three blocks in 30 minutes and had to turn right which led me to nearby Lantana. Nobody could tell me where the Lantana post office was. So I bought a few groceries and left the mail in the outgoing mail at the park gate. They said that the postman was way late but had not come yet. They would see that he got the mail. So I am hoping for the best-payday is Friday in Wyoming. These problems should resolve themselves by next payday.

The vehicle scrubbing tools were still out-does anything really dry down here? So I washed the Jeep with the Zip Wax process. No discernible difference cosmetically- kind of like putting lipstick on a pig.

I will try to snag Ted Fish or Jason to help put out the awning. It really is a two person job especially when one of the persons is me. The Quebecois are not very friendly although when I was searching the net for the French word for "rude," I discovered that this is just their way.
Am forming some cultural opinions based on observation although this is admittedly a small sample of Canadians. I prefer being left alone in most circumstance so this will work out well. Disdain is a game two can play.

Buster spotted the raccoon last night. I think he has been watching. I thought he was looking at his own reflection in the bedroom window- he is a vain little creature but he started raising hell. I caught a glimpse of something scampering. The dogs are settling in. We played on the grass in the backyard today. They really are very good dogs.