Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Resaca, Georgia on my mind

Rand-McNally and Garmin had a big fight this morning coming out of Pontoon Beach, Illinois. I finally stepped in and decided in favor of Rand but the Garmin GPS moaned and complained for more than an hour until I headed south on I-57, then the Garmin said "Aha!" Took a turnaround and about 18 miles of wasted time but the Rand plotted trip was just the ticket. I am in the South. Spinach and bacon and beans and rice on the buffets. The dogs have discovered deep fried chicken gizzards. I am looking for shirts that say "Will work for gizzards," for them.

Chicago dominates the mind when it comes to Illinois but southern Illinois is just beautiful. Prosperous farms and two-story hundred-plus year old houses dot the countryside with industry in well-disguised pockets. Driving through Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia, there are discernible differences in landscape that account for the stereotypes but it is all nice to look at. Some of the agricultural spreads in Kentucky are picture-book perfect. Coming through the Smoky Mountains into Chattanooga was great: some scenery; lakes and mountains and steeeep grades that rival anyplace. Oak forests with pine in places have a different look from what I'm used to seeing-very enjoyable.

Crossed several of the major rivers and was amazed at the width (and the height of the bridges) and flow of them. If the Interstate traffic allowed it I would have liked to taken pictures. But the truck traffic is heavy and everybody is hell-bent to get where they are going. Illinois has a 55 mile per hour speed limit for trucks and motorhomes. This is reasonable and so much more pleasant a way to drive. The rest of the day I felt "shoved around" and for what? I passed many that passed me several times. At the end of the day 30 more miles?

Cuz Donna called early with a forecast for Atlanta that I need to watch for-ice perhaps. Better than having the TV on when you have a cousin with a cell phone.

It was a long day that culminated in rush hour traffic in Chattanooga and a race to see what would give out first-the road or my bladder but it came out just about right. We are polluting the air with our gasoline generator while breathing fumes from the diesel generator next door. Time to shut her down and relax a bit. Easier day tomorrow after we brave Atlanta. Georgia is as tall as Wyoming is wide-will still be here tomorrow.