Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Departure is drawing near

Had a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving in Casper at Tom and Heather's. Such a feast! This was my family Christmas dinner too as I will be away by that time. So many changes in these older years. Brother Rich and Val will wing it to Hawaii December 15 to 23rd for a holiday and Val's daughter's graduation from the university there. Brother Bob will likely come for "after Christmas" in Casper.

Finally talked to a human being at John Prince Park in Lake Worth, FL, where my winter quarters will be. After Hurricane Wilma's devastation, they plan to be open December 1st. I plan to arrive December 15th IF "the fair Elante" is out of motorhome hospital by then. Nothing too serious but business must be good in Casper because those shops know how to take the "point" out of "appointment. " Going on three weeks now. "First of next week" is the new deadline. They generally do good work though so I will stuff my frustration and try to savor the illusion that the trip will now be mechanically perfect.

It does not leave a lot of time for packing and my "dry run"- living in the Coach for a couple of days before hitting the road to make sure essentials are on board and non-essentials get off-loaded.

Those magazines raving about the joys of the open road seldom openly address the cost of owning a motorhome. If you don't have some money set by for repairs it could be miserable. This current trip to the shop was primarily preventative. Wanted to get the new transmission checked out by a third party mechanic before the warranty runs out. Well there was a problem but not a warranty problem. The parking brake mechanism (part $900) was shot and had some effect on the rear seal of the transmission-etc., etc. And it is not just the older ones like mine. There was a big new one at the motorhome place where I am getting some minor things attended to, that had been driven four times and had been in the shop four times.

The good thing is that gasoline seems to be going down in price. I will Blog a good website I found on gasoline prices. It computes the gas costs of a trip.

Like all of my leave-takings I am feeling sad about missing people and events, anxiety about the trip, excitement about the new adventure and a haunting feeling I am forgetting something that is absolutely essential and a mild panic that I will never get everything done in time.

Though we have had a glorious fall season there have been some zero degree nights and chilly mornings on which my hands and feet hurt so badly from the cold that I know going to Florida is life affirming and life extending. If I stay it here will once again be virtual hibernation by February and that sense of isolation and being punished that long term cold inflicts on me.

Have stopped the Jehovah Witness visitations until spring, turned on the electric fence, will start the new mail forwarding next week, left something to collect water for the resident bunny and the birds. covered things up, stowed some items, made sure the alarms are working... installed new controllers. Can now turn things on and off by phone....