Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Colby, Kansas by default

Salina to Colby, Kansas on a smooth highway- a pleasant drive with a storm front to our left and blue skies to the right. We failed to outrun the winds and stopped in Colby for lunch. Cuz Donna called to say to avoid the Raton Pass because it was closed. That was a possible path two days ago. She must not be reading the Blog. Changes can occur with this outfit in 20 minutes. Everett Dirksen, after whom the Dirksen Congressional offices are named used to say "I am a man of principles and my first principle is flexibility." That caution from Donna caused me to fire up the computer which caught the Motel 6 WiFi network so I freeloaded and checked the NOAA weather site. Red flags all over eastern Colorado. Listened to the CB and the truckers were saying the road was closed from Limon and highway 400 was a mess.

I checked into Bourding's Depot Restaurant and Campground (on the honor system) wondering if I was going to have to cook dinner on the honor system as well. Walked the pups a few times had a leisurely shower in the campground bath house, got a free blow dry on the hair walking back to the camper, started a Jonathan Kellerman mystery, and tried to Blog on the campground WiFi but got dumped three (3!) times. So this is being transmitted by my trusty cell phone after 9 at night. I hate do-overs. Found where I had stashed my scanner and listened to the local HP's bust the passersby. Listened to the CB'ers warn about the cops. Pleasant afternoon.

Dinner and the restaurant held promise- the ideas are good, the realization incomplete. Still I was glad not to resort to my own devices and glad I experienced it.

The campground is starting to fill up. Spoke to my neighbor to the south a few minutes ago and complained of the chill wind. He said this was nothing! He had been in Wyoming! (groan, I did not want to hear that.) We gabbed a bit. He is from Shady Cove near Matt's home in Medford and they are visiting their son in Colby. Must be going around.

The weatherman says tomorrow will be better. If it is, we will make some miles.