Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Odysseus was blown by the winds to Newton, KS

Is it too much to hope for that two consecutive good days occur? Yesterday was a peach. Today had promise. The winds from the south were terrific on I-40 and for about 80 miles, the road so crappy that the dogs were traumatized and I was not doing much better. Any state doesn't keep their roads in better repair should not be allowed to have a vote in Congress. Concrete highways are an abomination. We are talking Arlington, Wyoming winds here. The total effect was like a Tilt-a-Whirl. Goody abandoned her perch, Buster kept trying to get on my lap. No rest stops, no shelter. Then I started hearing a KaWhap, KaWhap, and I thought I was shedding rubber. The little awnings on the driver's side would extend from the vacuum everytime a truck passed, then snap closed. I was waiting for a gust to get under them and tip us right over.

No way was I going the 285 miles to Amarillo in those conditions, so I turned my tail to it and went North to Wichita, Kansas. Progress was good with a tail wind and better roads. My tranny seemed to be running slightly warmer than usual. Then I remembered the old Motorhome would do the same with a tail wind. Construction in Wichita, crosswinds, tranny acting strange, so I pulled off at a rest stop near Newton, KS. (I think). Help is coming in the morning as the big awning has a big flap hanging down too. Hopefully we can preserve it and I will follow the service guy to Wichita and we will see what we can see. Odysseus is a little cross and out of sorts tonight. The winds are due to blow until Thursday so I plan no further progress until a cessation. Then, I head for home in a beeline. The adventures are growing a little tiresome. Will my faithful queen be fending off suitors in hope that I will return someday? Oops, that was the real Odysseus, mine jettisoned me ages ago. My faithful dog(s) is with me so (s)he will not be there to greet me. Perhaps the mice...