Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, March 25, 2005

Goober Country- Georgia

Here I am in the RV section of the Flying-J near Valdosta, Georgia- Exit 2 to be exact. We arrived about 6:00 p.m., gassed up, dined (gassed up) , fed the dogs some scrap chicken and their usual fare (gassed up), turned on the new fan to bring cool air in and the doggies are loving it. It is good to be stopped- a 12 hour grueling drive today. After the previously mentioned tribulations we went through a northbound crawl, stop-n-go-bumper-to-bumper for about 6 miles because a trucker jack-knifed his rig. Got on the CB to find out which lane I needed to be in in order to bypass Jacksonville, FL and get on I-10 to I-75 and to this place. Then unbeknownst to Garmin and me, the Exit Ramp to 295 was gone- under reconstruction. However, the detour was well marked and the Garmin did a quick recalculation and so we are here. On the way to Where? We don't really know. We have in mind to connect to I-40 after the Smokies, probably Memphis, and then go across OK and the skinny part of Texas and perhaps up to Denver and home or perhaps West to AZ depending on the weather in Colorado and Wyoming. Then, we will look westward to Oregon. Perhaps we will gussie up the VW bug a little- at least get new tires on her and haul that until we decide we shouldn't. May even take the Van to Oregon as I do know a pet-friendly motel there and it is only a two-hard -day-trip, with lots of hills and mountains. I am not 100% confident in this rebuilt transmission on the coach but it seems to be hanging in there. If not having an extended stay, driving this rig is an expensive mode of transport.

Goodie on Valium is a hoot. She relaxes and looks out the window. She smiles a lot. Doesn't get too uptight about every little bump and noise. Buster tends to stare at the ceiling. Definitely "stoner" behavior. She gets a half, he gets a quarter.

The people here are friendly and nice-very polite. It seems to me with my imperfect hearing, though, they are careless about their consonants if they exist at all.

Lesson learned: According to the truckers CB talk, I-95 on a Friday is bad news. Would I had known that before today.