Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, March 26, 2005

Crossed the Tallahatchee Bridge

Where Bobbie Jo McCallister jumped and a mighty bridge it is, although I have no real idea if this is THE bridge. It's a SONG, not history. The River/reservoir is very large and the beautiful old town of Eufalia, Alabama is on this side of it. Driving across Georgia on highway 82 was a treat: to get off the interstate, to see towns, and trees, and hills and dales, swamps and fields, farms and churches and churches and churches- quite a few Psychic readers, too. I would recommend the road until you get to Alabama but by then you are stuck. It would be a piece of cake in a sedan.

It is truly Spring in Georgia and Alabama. Greening up nicely. Bedding plants in the stores and a whale of a thunderstorm tonight as we park at Wal-Mart in Clanton, Alabama, north of Montgomery and south of Birmingham. The doggies are nervous at my feet and panting, and I am not entirely sanguine as tornadoes and hail are definite possibilities according to the NOAA radio. I have the radio set to sound the alarm. We knocked off about 5:oo p.m. today as I-65 was jamming and crawling due to accidents and it was hot and we had a hard day yesterday. Just out of Verizon range so we are blogging at midnight after a nice long nap. Wally's wife, Marta, cooked tonight. Chicken and macaroni and cheese and fried okrah from the deli. All the mammals happy with dinner. Found some ripe plums, too. (and a Snickers bar)

Alabama is ''eye contact country." If you establish eye contact, you greet each other. I think this is rather nice. Many drivers seem to believe that a talent scout for NASCAR is out there looking for them, however.

I got confused (more than usual) today. Montgomery snuck up me. I stopped for gas and asked if I could park behind to do some map work. The more I worked the more confused I became. Went in and asked the clerk where the heck I was. "Montgomery," was the answer. Had to go east and south to pick p I-65 north. I would also like to find the traffic engineer who decided it was a good idea to surprise people with those signs on the pavement "must turn right," which you can't see until the car in front of you moves off it. I would cuff him about the ears and waist until he could neither walk nor hear. Off early tomorrow towards Memphis, TN, unless I change my mind.