Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Easter Sunday on Highway 87

Up way early, as I am still on Eastern Time and I am in the Central Zone. It is as if the people who plan Alabama highways looked for intersections and put up signs, saying, "Waal we do too got a highway!" 87 is a hodgepodge, Not really a treat. It goes through some nice country and when the 4 lane segments finally do connect in the year 2024 the present ones will be crappy. Real constrasts in the state because Birmingham is a beautiful town by skyline. Obviously some real wealth and economic vigor in a state that has over 50 percent of its children living in poverty. I am glad to be traveling in the south because Birmingham is still stuck in my mind in black and white with dogs and firehoses being set on Civil Rights marchers. It has come a long way and is muscular- things are happening here. Their roads are not good except near population centers.

We started out in overcast foggy weather and it deteriorated. I thought the real bad weather was past. Buster slept on top of me last night because of the thunder, goody at my hand. Past Tupelo I was starting to be pretty uncomfortable. The rain was driving hard and so were the church leavers. I found a service station with lots of parking and parked after having obtained "Barbecue with trimmings" although the language barrier made it hard. I got potatoes instead of sweet potatoes (Yams?") I asked if I should go to the next stall for the trimmings and the guy said yes, then moved to that stall to serve me. I asked for stuffing and he said "Sir? You mean dressing and gravy?" Whatever, and it shore was mighty tasty.

The churches are multitudinous. I don't know how they find the folks to fill the pews. Lots of denominations. Mighty edifices and modest churches.

Surfed the Net for weather forecasts and it all seems to be much better tomorrow. I had determined last night to go north to St Louis which is the pits to get through, instead of to Little Rock on I-40. This afternoon Little Rock looks better but I only drove 12 miles from where I surfed and called a few folks until I came upon this Flying J just outside Memphis, TN where the Wifi network is being employed even though I am in Verizon digital country. I had enough driving and bad weather for this day and will look forward to sunny and mild days as we go through Arkansas, Oklahoma and the panhandle of Texas in the next couple of days. Western Wyoming is supposed to get a snow job in the next couple of days but it may be rain in Riverton. It is raining again here, the furnace is on. Good decision to park it. I am tired.

Spoke to Jason and Lori and it was a hot summer day in Boca. They did the Easter Sunrise Service at a park near the beach, drank the mimosas, had a nap. The Jeep went Scuba diving yesterday and then there was a Lobsterfest using the lobsters the divers pick up in the course of a year. Jason and Lori went too. Sounds like fun.

Spoke to Matthew last night- all is well with Audrey and he is working at the Harley dealership many hours to help out some friends. Cheryl is doing well: I could hear her talking with a friend in the background. I am looking forward to meeting Audrey in the next few weeks. Oregon in April is wonderful to behold.

The doggies are zonked, and I think I will tidy things up a bit and bring out the long pants. Bought an umbrella in Clanton, Alabama this morning. There is a Baskin-Robbins across the street. Are those two statements random or connected?