Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

What a Difference a Day Makes...

...twenty-four little hours. Started my day griping to Jason and to Richard. Called "RV Adventures" to make sure they hadn't forgotten me and about 9:00 a.m. "Joey" showed up in a $200,000 Coach that he was checking out for a customer, with his ladder and some nylon tie straps. The wind was still whipping and we had a merry time unfurling the awning and furling it back up ( I suppose furl is a word, if unning it means anything). Joey got on his ladder and tied all the awnings up and I asked him to lead me to his place of business. This was prescient because the ties lasted all of five miles and my parachute was flapping again. Repeat, this time using my duct tape to keep the wind from getting inside the awning roll. Tooling in, Joey stops the rig he was driving- I stop and wait. Turns out the wind was so stiff it popped open the entry door on the $$$$ coach. (After we got to the shop in Wichita there were four more awning calls: one on a new coach and it was ripped completely off.)

You can't beat midwesterners for nice. Introductions: "This is Gene Housholder. He will be working on your coach." A work ethic. The awnings were fixed: The big one rewound and re-sprung, the little ones have awning straps now. Had the roof above the cab sealed, Joey knew where the diagnostic harness was and showed me.

Of course I had a little time to kill so I went inside every "for sale" coach on the lot, thinking a trade up or trade-off might be smart. Conclusion: The Elante suits me fine and if I have to put some more $$ into it I will still have more what I want and be money ahead by 10's of thousands. (I may regret those words- I am putting this in parentheses so the Fates can't hear them- except as prayer).

By four o'clock, we were on our way, the winds having died down and the sun shining and we were in Salina at a brand new Flying-J by dusk. Had dinner and found a treat for the pups. They really are the best dogs. They roll with the punches and trust me and I hope I never let them down. Buster still hates the leash but he minds pretty well and when his business is done he is the first one to load up. The Goodster is kind of frail but she is game as she can be and even decided to try a ride in the "Shotgun" seat this evening. Kansas has good roads, (even concrete ones) not like the "Sooner" state. I'd sooner be in Kansas than Oklahoma. Kansas has its own kind of beauty- just too much of it. Winds are supposed to be at the 16 m.p.h. level tomorrow, not the 40-60 level. Hoping for a pleasant drive.

A fine coating of dust on everthing today made me wonder how my great grandma and her mother coped with the housecleaning in Whitewater, KS in the late 1800's. I should whine. G,G, Gpa Jefferson Saul started from Whitewater to Wichita to get lumber for their house and ran over his kid Homer with the wagon. All survived but Jefferson drove all night because he was so worried about his boy at home.