Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, April 01, 2005

Learning From My Elders

My early neighbors on the left in Colby were older than I by some considerable bit, although one doesn't ask. He was gray in the face when they pulled in. But in bits and pieces he went about setting up camp. I talked to him about the wind and he too had just had it for the day. As we talked he wanted to know if I knew about other campgrounds as 200 -225 miles a day was about what he could manage. He knew about Wal- Mart and Flying J. He was hard of hearing but watched carefully. I mapped them a Good Sam itinerary and loaned them my Woodall's guide. They were on their way to Redding, CA in an older pickup and a pull-behind Camper of some age too. We chatted a bit at dinner at the Depot. His wife is unsteady on her feet but a charming lady. He was so solicitous of her, helping her stand, walk and getting a little plastic footstool out so she could mount the steps of their camper and get into the pickup.

This morning he slowly started the getting ready for the day, checked his oil, got his funnel, filled the oil, put out the footstool so his wife could climb in the truck. Of course judging books by covers is dangerous but they seemed to be salt-of the earth folks of modest means.

And this is what I learned: Slowing down doesn't mean stopping. Being kind and gracious is a virtue in all people. Being afraid and pressing on is a good thing. Limits are not barriers. Seeking to enjoy is a good thing. Living within your means, even if modest, needs no apology- it is a virtue. You can be classy without being upper class.

I liked their style.

We stopped in Arriba, CO for a rest stop. The doggies were glad to see Snow! Two Semis were still jacknifed on I-70. Stopping in Colby was a good thing. The drive was good.

Tonight I am in Cheyenne, WY. The adventure is not over for I must seek some services in Casper and prep to take the Van to Medford. I took the 470 tollway to bypass Denver. $11.50! But it probably saved me a lot of grief. The Denver congestion on this Friday extended to Fort Collins.

More Later