Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Picking Up the Pace

The Coach is back in my hands after much too long away, too much money spent and too little work completed. The mechanic shop seemed to perform better than Rec-Vee which left my house in a mess as well as not doing the awning. They did fix the 12 volt outlet that they installed and never worked but now if I plug in any power supply a loud hum comes from the stereo. Whenever I would call Lew I would ask "How are you?" He would reply with "I haven't got a clue!" and then bray at his own cleverness. Turns out he was right.

Mobile Officing will get the acid test this year. I have been cleaning up, packing, and getting caught up on the bills, etc. Even at home the 'Fair Elante'" serves as the corporate office for our businesses. How we'll do 2300 miles from the driveway is an open question but I am betting just fine. Both Casper and Riverton offices report daily via scanner and E-mail as well as cell phone.

Doctoring is done for me as well as the critters. Interestingly, the same amount was spent on biped and quadruped medicine per each. But we are all fit to travel and have necessary meds. Always a bit of a relief to get an objective opinion.

Christmas on an advanced schedule has added to the pace. Will visit each of the neighbors and a few friends in town before Friday. I am operating almost entirely by list these days.

I have mapped the itinerary on Rand-McNally's website. Their output and options are much better than "Good Sam" and other mapping sites. This time I am going almost exclusively on the "Flying-J path" The middle of the country is not so hot for Verizon Broadband Internet though the phone service is fine. So I will sign up with the Flying J wifi and also consume gas so rapidly I will get discounts on my gas loyalty card. Staying free in the parking areas is another plus. Their food is usually pretty good and any forgotten traveler needs are readily available. They have also wisely located on the beltways in Kansas City and St. Louis. St. Louis is a particularly nasty place to navigate the traffic so this will work pretty well I hope.

The bitter cold is making it easier to say "goodby." The well froze last night. It makes me hurt, besides. I check the temperature in Lake Worth and 75 degrees looks pretty good to me when the thermometer here reads 10.