Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Rocking Across Nebraska to Kansas City, MO

Nebraska is a long way across but I had a great day. Calls from cuz Donna,son Matthew, daughter-in-law Cheryl and Audrey. What fun. Audrey was jumping and being gleeful in the background. Cheryl's mom was on her way over from Eve's house where she is staying while having a pre-Christmas visit. All are well.

About Kearney,NE I broke out the iPod. This gift from Jason, I did not even know I wanted, has turned out to be a gateway to enjoying music once again. You put your own music on it through your computer. When I was in Oregon, I got into son Matt's fabulous "20 plus years of being a DJ" music collection. So I have put nearly the "Soundtrack of My Life" onto the darn thing. I plugged it in and it plays through the stereo system in the coach so we rocked across Nebraska and part way to St, Joseph, MO. Everything from " Build a little birdhouse in your soul." to "Aquarius." Need to find some Jim Croce and Kris Kristofferson to fill in some holes. Can't find them on iTunes yet. Of course there is room for gobs more on it. No commercials, no talk radio, just music I like. Peak experience.

Saw mile-long trains filled with Wyoming coal all the way from Lingle to Lincoln. They get the coal and we get the hole.

Rolled into the Kansas City Flying J at dusk to find that RV's were not really welcome here- not enough space and no restaurant. Got gassed up. Got some chicken strips and a couple of sides of veggies from the Deli and am sandwiched in between semis across the street. The trucks are idling so my generator is just part of the chorus. There is a girl going from truck to truck selling something. It's a little dark outside for Girl Scouts selling cookies so I wonder what is going on? Many sirens earlier, broke out a scanner and am listening to the police calls.

Talk about good dogs! Mine are the best. We take a little one o'clock break and they are out the door and all business attended to pronto. Of course we take a little time to stretch legs and have a sniff around. Then they are ready to hit the road again. Goody is needing a little help both in and out these days but she is a good sport and seems to enjoy herself most of the time. Sitting up high as I am in the coach I have occasion to notice how many truck drivers are traveling with dogs. Quite few women truck drivers- many of them look quite petite (the parts I can see anyway) whereas the men tend toward the gargantuan. A lot of truck drivers are "totally connnected:" fireplug built men walking around with glowing ear plug/headsets chatting away with invisible "others." Kind of bizarre looking. Have not asked how they perceive me and will probably skip that part.