Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Report From the Rain Forest and Florida

Brother Rich has called a couple of times. Once to rhapsodize about the rain forest and the black orchids, the next returning my call-he is with RubyAlice and Stan, Valerie's folks and they have been on a long hike- it is 2:30 pm in Hawaii (7:30 pm in Lake Worth) and they seem to be lost. They are contemplating a helicopter ride. Fortunately they all seem to have the giggles and a cell phone so I won't worry too much.

Roasty-toasty day here in Florida- up to 82 degrees. The air conditioner is working better. Started the day with the Coastal RV guy coming here to fix my leaks. Pure incompetence-it took him 10 minutes to fix Rec-Vee's sloppy work. Picked his brain about some needed equipment and where to get it and set off to buy a 30 amp extension cord and miscellany. Did you know they make awning repair tape? I made significant progress today. Moved the coach further back on my lot, more shade, better parking for the Jeep. Jason came by after running his many errands and helped me set up the satellite dish. His mathematical approach allowed us to get a hit and I now have many of my channels- not all but more than the one off-air channel. Bought some supplies at a frantic Wal-Mart. Vowed to avoid that place until after Christmas. I gave the coach a good scrubbing- to get the road grime off, extended the little awnings, arranged my camping furniture a bit. It is starting to look homey around here.

The long term tent camping area near where I am has some hurricane refugees. Camping is not a lark for them. There is a huge pile- more than three stories high, and close to 300 feet long of trees, fronds, etc., that is being shredded and turned to mulch. There are still many downed trees and stoplights and street signs are gone. Quite a few blue tarp roofs. The damage was significant. You can easily see that the less economically privileged are hurting the worst and the longest.

There was a young raccoon in my palm tree last night. Fun to watch and not much afraid of me. Gave the doggies their heartworm medicine yesterday and noticed this morning that Buster had barfed. Will need to call the vet and see what to do. I am nearer water this time- mosquitoes are present.

Also discovered in the light of day that the shower stall I picked in the dark the night I arrived was clearly marked "Women." Oops! Having been in both, I can say there is no discernible difference in facilities.

Everybody is hanging Christmas decorations. There really are some outrageously kitschy displays. Trailer-trash modern-with money! Of course I bought a string of lights- I will compete! Maybe I'll decorate my Jeep. Give a guy awning tape, an inverter and 200 lights and something bad is going to happen! I brought the dragonfly lights that Manu gave me for my birthday. hmmm.

Final word from Richard- they DID send a helicopter after them. He was laughing so hard he could barely speak. Hope he got pictures.