Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, January 15, 2010

New Neighborhood

With a new north-south placement and a bodacious shade tree on the east side, I am able to do without the aluminum sunscreen and just use the 40% fabric shade. This suits the Honey-bear because she can watch the people and dogs passing by. She seems to understand she is invisible to them. She is a regular ambassador for doggiedom when we walk. She is sweet with all, old, young, sick and decrepit as long as they are DOGS! She actually let a lady touch her today so the socialization seems to be working. She is hell on wheels when her territory is threatened, though.
There are a couple of dogs we met on our rounds- a Corgi who is very ill with Lymphoma and had a morphine patch. We spent quite awhile with dog and master. A near neighbor has a terrier that is already beyond her vet stated expiration day and I just don't see it-she seems pretty bouncy to me. Her owner, Tony, was so negative when we met I was turned off. He came and visited quite awhile today. He owns a house but can't afford to live in it. He has a great 32 year old mint condition Airstream travel trailer. He is/was a general contractor and his most recent client, a doctor, is trying to stiff him on his bill. Three terriers and a serious photographer so if he can keep positive, he might make a fun friend.
Rene and Therese arrived today. Somewhere in Virginia their bike rack fell off and they didn't have a clue. They had great bikes and were fond of them but are consoling themselves with the prospect of new ones. Mme. Latour and I had a conversation the other day and I said "We ought to decorate their site before they arrive." She flat out stole the idea and cut me out of the action. But I had to laugh. She bought 20 el-cheapo balloons and there were only four that hadn't popped by the time Rene and Therese arrived. "Cheaters never prosper, said Grandma Mason. Rene and Therese look great. I am glad they are here. I am trying to develop compassion for Mme. and understand why she does what she does.

Tony had a brand new piece of sewer hose I bought from him. I was trying to opt for continued honey-wagon service because the dolts that designed the new sites put the sewer connections way forward-good for trailers but not so hot for 38 foot RV's. It is a 24 foot stretch from outlet to inlet. I had about 12 feet of hose. But I now have a connection. Not quite to Crane Hall cafeteria but it feels like it. I'll have to get one of those slinky things to provide a downhill slide. Don't want to play "Poop in the Python," at all!

Warm temperatures and two pretty good rains; last night and this afternoon. My handiwork on the awning area and screenhouse/Florida room proved up to the task. A cozy little site is emerging.

I blogged last night but the internet connection went down and I don't know where it went.
Posted by Picasa