Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, January 04, 2010

Cold Facts

It is almost record cold in South Florida. We have had two "two heater nights." I have a couple of cube heaters and usually one on low suffices on the nights the blower or air conditioner aren't used. The cubes have been on low so far but tomorrow promises an even colder night. All the heaters are sucking juice out of the grid in the park. The voltage meter says 102 volts.

Sunday was devoted to domesticity. Cleaning and an early evening trek to Wal-Mart were the major activities. Good call, it was not too busy down there. I needed coffee and several other staples. Publix makes me angry with their prices-$3.00 more for the same coffee and dog kibbles.

Rick came over and visited for awhile Sunday. He was all mopy and on the pity pot. I did not tumble. Told him to look forward. Next speech is the "cowboy up" speech. Next step is avoidance. I think dependence might be setting in. Time to grow up. He is a classic case of medical expense financial ruin but mooching, emotionally or financially, is not the way out of that catastrophe.

I love my Droid phone. With Google Voice it transcribes my voice messages to text, sends them to the Droid which goes "Droid" and I can read the message, return the call or carry on.

The Canon camera got left in Deerfield. I miss it. I will fetch it tomorrow-maybe do a little laundry. Monday is Jason's work day so tomorrow is better.

Today was much the same: domesticity and keeping warm. Mornings are cold but the sunshine makes it pleasant until sundown. Honey only got a walk today. Buster had bad coughs. I gave him a Benadryl to see if it would calm his smooth muscle spasms. Inconclusive result. He seems fine right now.

Fiesta Bowl, two good dogs and a warm RV. A good evening in the offing.