Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Tuesday in the Tropics

Yesterday was the kind of day I come to Florida for-today is downright chilly. I keep track of home so I still feel fortunate though my hands hurt in this much cold because it seems to me winter in my neck of Wyoming has been brutally cold-I feel so bad for below zero temperatures.

I spoke to Eve a few minutes ago-I was calling to say goodbye but she had already left and was stuck in the San Francisco airport-14 hours without sleep. Not a happy camper. But the visit was fun and I was glad to see her. Good place to be about an ex: kind of neutral but friendly.

I have to get out and about soon. I bought makings for stew thinking to cook enough to give some to the Fish family but the ambulance left the park yesterday afternoon so I don't know if they are at home. I hope they are. Costco is a funny place. Some things are not a bargain at all but meat usually is -if you can use large amounts. Met my old friend Ange-a neighbor from two years ago who bought a condo down here. Waved at his wife and kids across the store.

Buster didn't have a great night but he is resting easy now-not coughing.

Rick did well at his first day of work. His elbow was draining profusely so he went, as directed, to Dr. Patel at St. Mary's where he got a runaround and was caught up in the drama of a shooting coming in. If what I read in the paper this morning was related, it was a fatality- a second successful attempt in the 'hood. But I make no mistake-Rick is a chancy bet. Whether prescription or street, a junkie is a junkie. Those years running the shelter were instructive.

The new neighbors to my right came in from Texas because the wife's girlfriend is ill. He seems a typical Texan. He is very "coach proud." He drives a Foretravel made in Nagadoches, Texas. "The only limit to what you can get in this coach, is your billfold," he says. So I looked it up on the Internet. New ones (his is not) are going for around $800,000.00. So I went down the feature list. The only things his has that mine does not have is something called Hydronic Heating, and a washer and dryer. Bragging rights aside, I feel like I am $775,000.00 ahead. Right where I like to be.

They are getting closer to finishing my reserved site. Perhaps by Wednesday, the electrician said. I picked it for the tree. But part of the tree is gone now. (insert "S" word here)! The quest for my perfect site continues.