Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Rainy Day

I awoke to a short downpour which puddled things up enough to skip the morning run for Honey. What to do on a rainy day? I donned my plastic rain hood and washed the RV. I got a lot of grime off and the next heavy rains rinsed it. I'll buff it up a little when the Sun stays out. I made "on the road" business cards. Name and phone and gmail but no address. No point in advertising there is a house in Wyoming unattended. I tidied and straightened inside and out.

My "rainflys" on the screenhouse did their job. I ordered cloth shower curtains to replace the plastic ones. The plastic ones make good covers within the awning area. Overall, a good idea for limiting rain and sunshine. I had to school myself in the art of fastening snaps to them to keep them from billowing in the breeze. Snaps are harder than one might think. I believe I could invent a better tool than Dritz has come up with.

The park is beginning to fill and I got a new neighbor from Quebec. Gillis is the translation. I helped him back a gorgeous Damon coach into the worst site on the campground. Then I helped him level it. He was alone but his wife will fly in Thursday. He has neat toys: a scooter and a "Smart Car." The entrance to his coach is in front and to get it level the front had to go way up. He said his wife was short and we got the giggles imagining her hiking up her dress and putting her knee on the first step. Seems like a good guy.

My RV refrigerator freezes things just fine. The fresh food part is warmer than it ought to be. I called Coastal Repair and it sounded a little slurry on that end but maybe it was just the rain.

Honey was pent-up by the evening run. If other dogs show the least aggression she tends to give it right back. We had a few "moments"-she is strong enough to drag me and the bike. Matt noticed that she holds a human's gaze. She doesn't break it . He says that is "Alpha Bitch" behavior. I know the type but the term was new. Buster had a bad night. I cooked liver for them tonight but opted for Chinese for me.

A cool evening, welcome after a sweat lodge afternoon. Cooling trend in the air. Welcome. And that is how I spent a rainy day.