Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, December 21, 2009

Phil's Man Cave and the Clark Griswold Syndrome

At David's party Phil and Joy invited us to see his Christmas decorations. You may recall National Lampoon's Christmas vacation in which Clark Griswold, played by Chevy Chase, brings down the power grid of Chicago when he plugs his Christmas lights in. To Phil's chagrin, he takes 2nd place year after year. The guy on the corner usually wins and in fact was told to expect us because we would be looking for "big lights." I was really impressed with Phil's "Man Cave-" his garage. He is very handy and showed off his handiwork inside the house but he and his dog hang out in the garage a lot and it has everything a guy could want including a TV with the complete NFL package. Complete picture set at the web album. The man cave is a hoot.
Most of the lights are in the above picture. Lost at this distance is the snow making machine. Below is Phil's Christmas Village. Very elaborate and complete. He spends hours on his decorations and it shows. He says the TV is the villages' drive-in theater. The pics are worth a click to enlarge.

I did not stay too long because Buster had been sick earlier and in fact did not want to go in the car-a very unusual symptom. He seems fine today if a little logy. Honey did go and was rewarded with a good romp with Jack, Phil and Joy's Lab mix: a puppy and just full of it. Juneau pooped out pretty early-he is a people dog.
It is fascinating to me to see what "turns someone's crank." I'm glad people share.

Cool morning this Monday but it got nicer as the day went on. Honey got a run. She played with the Dachshund's next door and Lucy- a boxer/pitbull mix puppy moved in across the street. She is set with playmates.

The Latours were down for a visit. They offered to help me move which I thought was imminent as the 24th is nearly here and I have many social engagements to attend. I was worried. I went to see Lisa. The people who wanted this site cancelled so she blocked me in until February 1st. I can move when my site is ready but don't have to move until February. A huge load off.

I made chicken soup for Mrs. Fish and delivered it at dinner time. She had been in for more tests and treatment and had a big day so she was glad to get it. I hope she is still glad because it got gussied up a little from regular chicken soup. It might not be to her taste, though it tasted fine to me. Her son and granddaughter were there so I met them.
Posted by Picasa