Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Papa Stephen

I had to wake Rick up this morning. He is usually gone by 7:00. There was no sign of activity over there. He had finally gotten some pain killers and had a good night's sleep but too long. He has been doing well at work-they have already moved him from hourly to commission and he has earned $436.00. Prudy and Gary came over to walk his dogs yesterday. They are Mormons but Prudy has had recent knee surgery and is sympathetic to the pain-killer deal. And I guess if such a pillar of rectitude as Rush Limbaugh can't quit them they exert a strong pull. I stick with it though: a junkie is a junkie. As Prudy said, we need to get Rick beyond this first paycheck. To that end I had some good beef stew and buttered bread in tupperware for him when he got home late last night.

I have a BIG slow cooker and made six quarts of stew yesterday and moved most of it. New neighbors from Quebec (but English speakers): I tried to get cute and borrow a bowl, thinking to fill it up. She offered not much of a bowl so I broke out the tupperware for them. Doc Rosenberg stopped by with a fruitcake Jan made-soaked in Amaretto and "no yucky green things," very tasty. I was able to reciprocate swiftly with beef stew. It was above average stew-not my best but nothing to be embarrassed about either.

That Honey takes her work very seriously. After she pulled up her second stake I tethered her to the water post-concrete. I went out last evening to find the tether with her hardened steel collar at the end and both dogs gone. I summoned her with the training collar and they both came-they had obviously been having a ball. Time to come in and go to bed. I am trying to fix her collar this morning but it is probably time for a new one.