Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Last Minute Gouges

Humana, my prescription Drug, Part D provider has been hounding me to re-up my prescriptions for another year. Their plan and formulary arrived. It all came clear: The monthly premium increased modestly by $3.70. No problem there. BUT, they manipulated the co-pay and the tier level of my main Blood Pressure med and dropped Tetracycline from their online pharmacy entirely. I had been getting my meds for just the cost of the premium. 2010 would increase my out of pocket expenses by $700.00. Looking at the formulary there are two tier one drugs that could replace the combination drug I presently take. If the doc says OK, I will go that route and be where I am now. I will probably have to go to Walgreens for my Tetracycline-it is so cheap that there is no money in it for them. So boys and girls there is more than one way to fleece a senior citizen. I hope I can outsmart them.

Wells-Fargo sent me a love note increasing my credit card interest rate to 14%. This in advance of the new law that will only let them increase the interest on purchases after the change date-not the whole she-bang. It irritated me more than a little. They sold me a CD earlier this year that yields 2% over nine months and acted like they were giving me a gift. Then you look at the headlines about the billions in bonuses the bankers are in line to get and it makes you want to punch a banker for Christ! I got irritated with my other credit card folks and paid them off some time ago and have been sending nuisance payments which they refund with no interest.

They were eager to sell my ex, Eve, an adjustable rate mortgage. Her house payment was around $700 a month then. (Interest only loan-give me strength!) Now the payment is over $1200.00 per month and rising.

Stopped by to see Delores and Don yesterday. Son Greg was there. His girlfriend Kinsey has the flu. I have a swollen lymph gland today. ( I said, lymph-don't get excited) Coincidence perhaps-a hope. Anyway they were in fine form. Caught up on many of our mutual acquaintances. Cousin Jayne in West Virginia is getting her house insulated with stimulus money. She said they did a pressure test to define the leaks and her curtains stood straight out. She is a treat. But not feeling well.

Buster's coughing is less with less medicine-I just hope it is enough. Perfect illustration of end of life choices-quality for shorter time or misery for longer. Hopefully we will hit the happy medium and get both quality and length. He has been taking leisurely walkabouts in the pasture. Honey was after something this morning. When I called her she was mud to her shoulders and eyes. She looked so funny. She is such a kid.

Since the Bush bust began I have lost thousands in interest. Other have lost more but they had more and I was in a risk free money market.

Feeling assaulted and poor with all the financial shenanigans I bought an economy package of chicken breasts, froze half of them and fixed fried chicken and fried potatoes for dinner and the soup is ready for Sunday.