Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, October 03, 2009

To Oregon!

I try to stop at a few familiar spots to exercise the dogs so they kind of know what is going on. They do an awful lot on trust. The above picture turned out great for a dusk picture at the Wendover end of Great Salt Lake. The picture below I call "Fat Ass Korean ruins a Great Salt Lake picture."
The doggies were on to the game at the Motel 6 in Winnemucca. They did a lot of exploring at midnight when we arrived there. The trip was weird. Waved to Janet and her mom who were going on an excursion the other direction to gala Veteran, Wyoming. I sniffed a bit of humanitarian mission there. Grandma and auntie going to visit a fairly newlywed mom. The Flying J stop at Lake Point, Utah was bad. Flying J declared bankruptcy and was picked up by Pilot I think. Meanwhile it has sunk from above average to dismal. Very few customers. The buffet was inedible. I felt guilty taking a couple of pieces of chicken for the dogs- guilty for feeding it to the dogs. There was a lady there, living in her car. She admired my big white dog and I admired her big black pussy. She reminded me of my neighbor lady Charlene, very thin, and little girl voice, black hair. The cat is living well however. Then , the lady who took my reservation in Winnemucca called me back while I was trying to negotiate the weird re-entry ramp and I ended up driving back as far as Saltair before I could head back toward Wendover.

A fairly early start today in Winnemucca. I filled up at the Flying J there and bought a 20 ounce coffee to continue the 40 ounce caffeine buzz I started the day before. I didn't sleep all that much in Winnemucca and needed to continue the abuse. The willd burros never fail to entertain in the Sheldon N.W. R. The snow and blizzards from Denio to Adel did not amuse although it was weirdly beautiful. Coming off a several mile downhill curvy 8 percent grade in a blizzard inside a cloud was strange and beautiful. My favorite Christian/deli/antique store in Lakeview was closed on Saturday, to my regret. I stopped for a BLT on toast to go in depressed Bly, Oregon. Nice little cafe. Everywhere I went I saw federal stimulus money at work on roads and in some cases putting sidewalks where there never had been sidewalks.

They screwed up my reservation here at the Cedar Lodge. It is starting to get a little "flophouse(-y). I made them get me a refrigerator, the air conditioner is broken, I had no pillows, and only a washcloth and a bathmat. Big party next door tonight. Perhaps my last stay here. I will shop around this visit and see if I can do better.

Lest you think me merely cranky, my number one son fixed a pork roast with new potatoes, carrots, onions and salad, much of it from his garden. It was delish. Audrey wanted me to sit next to her, and she was a perfect child who eats a good dinner, can converse and has a big heart. She is gorgeous! Matt had to go out and bust miscreants this evening but we all four had a nice visit. I played dolls with Audrey later and distributed a few gifts-warm snuggies. Honey and Dmitri and Buster had a ball playing in the back yard. It was nigh on to perfect.
Posted by Picasa