Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Busted a Nut Today

I had been sidling up to this day-not looking forward to it. But the license plates expire on the 30th and the property taxes needed to be paid. I have mixed emotions about having worked to have all the plates expire in the same month. It saves trips to Lander but it is a pretty hefty sum. We loaded up and went to that fair city and the courthouse. Alas! Every 8th year we must have new license plates-not just a sticker. This is that year. Not only was my wallet flat, my afternoon was pre-empted. Five sets of plates (two more in Florida to do) awaited. Vehicles newer than 1992 were relatively straightforward and went well. I dropped a nut on the rear Lindy plate. Searched and searched. No luck. There is a very rez-looking twist of wire temporarily holding it. The back plate on the Ranger went on with no fuss. The front one was fastened with rusted bolts. Really tight space. Finally broke one and the other is still holding - The Ranger has a crooked smile.

As a treat for "doing my duty" before the 11th hour, we had lunch al fresco at the Gannett Grill. Rather I dined on the deck so I could see the pups and Honey stuck her head out the window and complained. Then they dined in the van. It was a nice treat but I think the place has slipped a little. And...I had some stomach upset this afternoon.

I tried to call Matt. Welfare check, because, as Sooz informed me, Medford and Ashland had forest fires. I was using my new headset as recommended by Richard-a Blue Parrott-66' range model. I do not know how to work it apparently. But it looks cool-a boom mike and flashing red and blue lights. I can now look as demented as the others in Flying-J truck stops. R2D2 with whiskers. I have a heck of a phone bill for somebody who averages about two calls a week. Would hate to miss one! And Verizon does provide my Internet coast to coast.