Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, September 12, 2009

A Chill in the Air

These cold mornings are a reminder that mid-September usually holds a freeze that marks the end of the growing season. I am sending messages to hold off awhile for the sake of Hollis' beans. First freeze is usually a big waste anyway because after the freeze, the days turn warmer and if you picked the right time to cover your garden plants they will prosper for awhile. If you didn't pick the right time you get lots of black stuff. I went around doing interim weatherization today.

They are also a reminder that the days are going at a gallop. I've been deconstructing the Ford van in prep to try to impose some order for traveling. My little helpers complicate things. Buster keeps wanting to take up residence and Honey finds all sorts of interesting things to play with. I left more in Florida last year-it does not make sense to haul too much back and forth but there is still a great deal to stow.

I have to admit I am still fond of my destinations but the actual road trips are no longer the adventures they were. Maybe I can find ways to make them more exciting. Twenty hours west and forty three hours east are the driving times but that is the minimum time. At some point it turns into a job, then at another it seems like punishment.