Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, August 28, 2009

Showing Denis and Ida my Junk

I'm going to fool around and get my ass canned from this gig if I don't watch out. I haven't taken a picture for a week and the blogging has been spotty at best. No excuses but an explanation: I am moving into full hermit mode. There is a reason religious people become hermits. The noise of the everyday world drowns out the voices of the spirit and the universe. It is blissful to have quietude and direct the sounds that you do allow. You open up and tranquility bubbles up. While I need to be here sometimes to refresh and examine my spirit, I cannot dwell here forever. The dreams without me have returned. Padma and her partner were making sandwiches last night. I think roasted red pepper and Padma's job was to add a piece to cover the whole slice of bread and she deftly tucked a sprig of something, watercress or sorrel, with her thumb before adding the top piece of bread. She was Indian or Pakistani and had that inner joy you sometimes see. Somebody else's dream I fear. The deck at night has been stunning with the stars and shooting stars in the heavens. The infinitesmal experiences the infinite.

I am not sitting Buddha-like for all this, though the Buddha carving I brought from Lake Worth is presiding over the dooryard. It shares a stump with my "scareowl" which personifies a more animistic philosophy. The home archeology is continuing. I'm finding stuff I had forgotten and other stuff is hitting the dumpster.

A package from Venice, Italy via Florida arrived. An ornate dipping pen with four nibs triggered Jason's memory of my pen fetish. Alas! My penmanship has deteriorated with the advent of the computer in my life. Perhaps I can revive it with this incentive.

Ida and Denis wanted a meet and greet on their way to Atlantic City (WY) for the weekend and Don's birthday party-73, he is. We met at Wal-Mart Subway for food and went to the park where the doggies were well behaved for their command performance. Denis and Ida are animal people. They were towing their RV with their never-seen-by-me cat "Spook.' Maybe it is a fictitious cat. They wanted to know all about iPods so I did a show and tell for them. We sat on the grass for our lunch on this beautiful August day.