Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, August 31, 2009

Sunday on the Rez

After the doings on Saturday, a quiet Sunday seemed in order. A little golf watching, cooking a good dinner-corn souffle, noodles parmesan, and a pork chop on the grill. I am really not so much a pork addict as it might seem . It is just that you can buy a pork loin for $2.37 a pound and slice it or roast it or barbecue it. Masterpiece Mystery for a treat and I watched The Bridges of Toko-Ri a supposed "classic" but so corny I couldn't finish it. Grace Kelly was a simp in this picture. Michener is not aging very gracefully as a writer.




We received about a quarter of an inch of welcome rain in the late afternoon. It was the constant lightning, seven power bumps and forty mile an hour winds that scared the bejeesus out of us.




In the run up to Saturday's birthday party, I was running around town. The phone rang. It was Mme. Latour of John Prince Park fame. From a kind of droopy, drippy camper last season, she is now raring to go. In fact several of my last year neighbors are getting excited. Andre photoshopped the campground map showing where everybody is going to be (click to enlarge). We are scattered this year and in my book that is good. We can get together but "re-creating" a happy time is nearly always a disappointment. My "circle" has grown every year and I like them all. The circle is not closed.






Jeanne had emailed a retouch of a picture of my great great grandmother, Nancy Jane Toal.


She did a great job. The picture on the right taken at the same time as a more formal picture was a jokey picture-glasses and a clay pipe. That is why I sent it to Jeanne. Evidence that goofy pictures are one of our family traditions.


Matt called and was at the Grant's Pass gun show and wanted to know if I wanted to replace my stolen Jimenez .25 caliber automatic. I did. I already got the Browning but the one gun seems to be in the wrong car about half the time.


Monday was started twice. Up at at 6:30 because Buster was gooning me. He is cat like sometimes. He was snuggling and wiggling and trying to kiss my face. But it was a short-lived rising. It was cold and the warm bed seemed like a good idea so, as usual, the door was open for the dogs and I went back to bed. I awoke at 10:30 with two dogs on the bed. Cup of coffee and a re-do.