Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

The Old Cowboy and the Newlywed

Tom, the guy in the foreground is about 40 and has managed to elude capture for many years, He is a good-looking cuss and has had his share of romances. Well, with a girlfriend with, not one, but two buns in the oven, of the female persuasion, he took the leap. In Wyoming it is well known that gestation in the human female is very unpredictable for the first birth-anywhere from 20 minutes to nine months but subsequently takes nine months. So folks are pretty down to earth about it. An old timer was giving Tom advice:
"Now when the baby comes, don't get up in the night the first time. Play possum when it cries. She's going to cut you off anyway. Might as well give her a reason. If you don't, pretty soon you will be getting up every night. Then she will want you to do it in the morning. Next thing you know you will be changing diapers in the afternoon too. Then you will be too tired to get your chores done. Then the place is going to start to look like hell. Then the Boss man is going to run your ass off. Then where will you be? Don't get up the first time!"

Well, we will see. Tom is a pretty nice guy and his brother and his wife have a great relationship and kids. Son Matt is a sharer of child duties and has reaped the reward of a close relationship with his daughter. Daryne beat the duty by saying baby caca made him throw up. But I have seen him with his arm up a cow's ass to the shoulder. Stay tuned for more news from lovely Cora, Wyoming. Thayne and I have a bet.

Very cool this morning. My hands hurt in spite of the warm coffee cup. But it turned into a beautiful late summer day. The only firm thing on the agenda was the trip to town that has been put off a few times. Radio Shack sent me a sale flyer. Then they closed for Labor Day weekend. I settled for a 5% discount, came home and checked Amazon and ordered a newer model for less. Radio Shack's is going back. As long as I was in town, I bought a good steak to go with my corn on the cob. I got a minute steak for the hounds. We were all happy with our barbecue this evening. I was like a kid at Christmas watching the live-blogging from the Apple extravaganza. They have made some cool improvements but I was hoping for the iPod Touch to sport a rumored camera. Further rumors say there has been a technical glitch and it wasn't ready for prime time. They did lower prices on several models. I am still pondering. The Nano has a new video camera and some upgrades.
Posted by Picasa