Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Well, Duh!


Without benefit of a partner in life (thank the Lord for small blessings for us both), there is no one to arch an eyebrow, or say "Wipe the corner of your mouth, there is a teeny bit of bullshit left there." So the blog must perform the function of providing me feedback. I have spent days fasting, meditating, and in silence to achieve some detachment from the everyday world. Then I notice that I am feeling somewhat aimless! That was the point of the exercise. Not much longer though. The dreams are getting downright weird.

Sandhill Cranes were among the Canada Geese today. Mostly mamas and juveniles. The daddies did a flyover-they are impressive! Six foot wingspans. The guns are booming all around. Thayne told me the daily limit is two and since geese mate for life, you are supposed to kill one and wait for the mate to return and kill that one. I can see the logic but that game is definitely not for me. A camera is my limit. Besides, I tasted goose once.


Honey leaves a little hair on the fence every time she goes through it. That is often. She went exploring this morning and must have fallen in the mud. She sheds it pretty fast, though. Buster took the initiative for a little walkabout today too. I was glad to see it.

Thayne stopped by this evening and gave me some excellent sweet corn. I had some Whirling Dervish Wedding Soup cooking in the pot but with corn in hand, Burgers and sweet corn became supper. The doggies like it when I barbecue. Honey finished hers and came looking for mine. She didn't get much. I saved a patty for their breakfast.

Rich had called on Friday wanting cuzAnn's phone number. Her summer home is in Saratoga. Rich and Val were going to a Val family gathering in Encampment. Ann can be kind of a stick but she and Ralph went and they all had a ball. Val's dad, Stan, has had a hobby of fixing up old wood/coal stoves and he has an assortment. His wife Rubyalice and her girls made peach pies on a coal range, blanched green beans from the garden and had other home grown treats. The light bulb might be coming on for Casper-raised Richard. There is an incredible amount of joy to be had from life without cash-flash and keeping up with Joneses. When he called tonight he was still pumped. Can there be anything better than a homemade peach pie from a coal stove and fun friends to share it with? Board games, a few skittle shots, and good yakking. Ann and Ralph stayed until 10:00 p.m. They'll have a tale to tell in Dallas.

Still pecking away at household tasks.
Posted by Picasa