Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Go Doncos!

Denver did a good job whipping up on Oakland this afternoon. When it became obvious they were doing well enough that my full attention was not required, I stayed close and attacked a stack. I found a magazine from 2005. So it was time. In fact, I made quite a little progress this week. It might not be immediately obvious to a stranger but I can tell. The dumpster can tell. It is feeling like progress.

I had to register for Facebook in order to get to somebody's page. Now I am getting into Facebook. Spent a little time with it today. I am not sure I entirely "get it" but it is pretty easy and it seems to post your verified friends' activities which kind of keeps you up on their lives. I think it will be fun.

Richard, who does not do well on his own, called late Saturday night. Val is in California with her family. Rich was going through some of dad's old stuff. He was "a saver" too. The tax returns from 1949-1956 were a chronicle. The hospital bill for Richard's 1950 birth at St. Luke's was $181.00. Insurance paid all but $64.00. It was a five day stay at $15.00/day. Mom had $1.25 worth of physical therapy. In another document Aunt Esther had written an account of Grandma Bosco's funeral (my great grandmother). It was all hearts and flowers and really quite good. No mention in this account that she was so frozen with arthritis that they had to break her bones to get her in the casket. Her memoir does honor the woman's personality. All interesting stuff.

Friday my premium for donating generously to PBS arrived-very promptly. I holed up in the Studio and committed eight CD's of Classic 1960's tunes to the computer and iPod. I am starting to get some duplicates. Itunes will eliminate duplicates but I am not sure how accurate it is. I have five renditions of "Unchained Melody" but they are different treatments by different artists. I like them all. It is easier to leave the duplicates on than take a chance and have to re-record them.

Joyce and Gary called from Pittsburgh. Raining there but she is very excited her son is engaged and she got a new car and their John Prince reservation starts January 27. Doc and Jan will get there November 13 from Delhi, NY. The snowbirds are starting to chatter.

I cut back on my Metformin attempting to determine why I was/am gagging. I am not very hungry when I take it but when I do finally get hungry it feels like it is too late. A drink of water even and I am in trouble. But in cutting back I got a little binge going yesterday. Back on it today. Couldn't finish my dinner tonight-all of which is on the plus side for the plus sized.

Crazy weather-smoke today, yesterday was a two jacket morning and I had to re-install the blower to cool off the house in the afternoon-it was warm. Friday night the coyotes were on the move and poor old Honey about wore herself out. Because Buster has backup now he is really quick to open his yap. He loves to get her going.