Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, October 09, 2009

Cold and Snowy

I can't really assess the storm damage because some branches are hanging low from snow and more snow. Honey loves the stuff. Buster likes it in short stints. I am not fond of it all except as it manifests itself through a window or camera lens. I spend the day layering up and layering down. The electro-thermal storage furnace the RVEA sold me years ago is controlled by them. It is designed to store heat in ceramic bricks during off-peak hours and release it gradually when the rates are high. Unfortunately the off-peak hours have been getting shorter and shorter over the years so I have toasty times and cool times. It is 16 degrees out there right now. I am typing with my hat on but the recharge just began so it will come off soon.

Made a pot of Eritrean Wedding soup today. I thought I was doing so well before I went to Oregon but I puffed up and looked pasty as hell when I got there. Soup helps me maintain. And weight loss is relative-I know I have lost some but I started with lots! Buster's coughing was bad in Oregon. I hit the Web to look at side-effects of his meds. His main one can cause involuntary contractions of the diaphragm. I have adjusted doses downward. He seems to be doing better. My heart aches for him-it is no fun for him and I can sometimes interrupt it by tickling his tummy or patting his back but I am beginning to wonder if I have created a monster because he seems to cough for attention sometimes too.

Fortunately, The Lost Symbol is proving to be a gripping read. I have to agree that Brown is not the best writer but his research and plotting is very interesting. Not up to DaVinci Code standards but close. Tom Hanks, Linda Hunt, and Andy McDowell will star (prediction). Nothing quite like an interesting book on a snowy day.

Thayne called to tell me the cows are coming home tomorrow from the high country. Phillip Cross says it is going to be an old-fashioned winter and he wants them out of there. Honey will be ecstatic. I will enjoy them for the next few weeks.