Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, May 29, 2009

It's A Dog's Life and that is a good thing

I felt well, even good, today and it was a beautiful day so I called in "well." It's a great system I have. When you feel punk, you get to take it easy. When you call in "well," you get to do as you please. What pleased me was playing with the dogs or petting them, being in nature, snacking a bit, a nap in the sunshine, and watching a wonderful sunset. The rubber did not hit the road. No human voice disturbed.

When I say "being in nature" that is what I mean. This little oasis of trees harbors or invites the birds and the bees, animals, small and large, and a wide variety of vegetation some of which is edible in due course. It is all outside my door and I try to be a good neighbor to it-putting water out and sharing the space and the treats. In return I get to be a part of it, watching, listening, and being a mammal. I am returning more of it to habitat garden which many folks don't get but they are actually giving people tax breaks for it in New Mexico. Part of being in nature is accepting some of the less pleasant facts of life. Honey is quite a hunter. Watch out voles. And I got my first mosquito bite today- (I draw the line there-if the birds can't keep up, I can). Another part is being a good sport about the fact that some birds did not take it kindly that I screened over places that allowed them to nest in the attic. They remodeled and are back. When the babies fledge, I will be back up there with more screen and my staple gun. Even grackles speak softly to their babies. I can hear them murmuring.
Had some yellow finches visit today. They are cheerful and fast.

It "puts my head in a good place." as we said lo those many years ago. You know what I mean.

I unpacked my Iomega portable hard drive and was pleased to find I had saved most of my pictures to it. Forty five gigabytes of them. My life in pictures. I will back even these up again.