Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

For the Birds

Last night I decided to try a new strategy for the apnea and took, along with the Benadryl, etc, a stick of Wrigley's Extra Polar Ice gum thinking the menthol/spearmint would be helpful and having something in my mouth would keep it shut. It all worked and I will say that is some gum: it still had flavor and bounce in the morning. But I felt like hell-couldn't get enough air for hours this morning then had a deep chest cough and started to get better. Are allergies at play? Does that mouth breathing play a helpful role? So, not feeling well at all I just sat on the deck and watched. Scarlet Tanagers came visiting, Robins are raising families in several spots, Mourning Doves were courting, Grackles stopped by, Ravens were scavenging, the cattle were munching, the llamas grazing, horses were bedded down, dogs were at my feet. I enjoyed that part very much while I contemplated my imminent demise. (And no, Bonnie, you can't have my computer if I die)

Feeling better, I gathered the dogs and made a dog food run-they were out of kibble. The state has resurfaced the "old Lander highway" and I took that smooth path to Arapahoe School and then came home on the LWR Bottom road and spotted two big white birds. Really too far away for the zoom on the camera I had with me but they are pelicans!
Do I ever get tired of looking at this countryside? Yes, when it turns dun and stays that way for months. But right now I am soaking it up.
I'm feeling pretty well tonight and looking forward to waking up tomorrow. The UPS man is bringing my $40.00 printer.
Posted by Picasa