Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

There Goes the Fireworks Display!

Front page of the Riverton Ranger indicates two dentists were indicted for trafficking in prescription painkillers. One of them has put on a lavish 4th of July Fireworks display in Sinks Canyon for several years- better than the town display. By most accounts he is an excellent orthodontist and a fine fellow. (Mormon?) In any case I hope he gets corrected what needs to be corrected and carries on his life in whatever shape it takes. His co-defendant seems to be dodgier-license to practice revoked and he lied on an application for a gun purchase. Surprising to see it here. In south Florida there is a case like this about once a week. "Hillbilly Heroine."

Another surprising thing to see is the number of foreign immigrants working here. The Hispanics we have had for a long time-I am talking Africans, Chinese, etc. Feels more like Florida all the time. Of course there is a strong element of anti-foreign resentment in some strata of Fremont county and Wyoming. Most of the email hate letters that I get on the subject are exposed as based on lies and half-truths as revealed in the recent Intelligence Report put out by the Southern Poverty Law Center. Their data would also tend to support the report Janet Napolitano made on right wing hate groups. Some spooky stuff out there. I think I will go to the gun show Memorial Day to see some of them. All these people stocking up on guns and ammunition make me nervous. Who are they going to shoot? Do I need to be ready to shoot back?

I washed half the fleet today. Will wash the rest tomorrow. I had Mourning Dove poop in copious quantities on the green van. The trees are shedding sap and seeds on the others. The vegetation is just bursting. I fear the strong winds took most of the plum blossoms before the bees visited. I haven't seen many bees. I am sure I was buzzed by a hummingbird so the feeeder is up but no takers yet.

Though I haven't seen him, I am sure after today that Wily Coyote is still among us. Honey is going down to his house a couple of times a day and giving the big come-on. I am vigilant and her pinch collar is turned inside out (she knows how to do this) so if anything were to try to bite her neck, there would be a spiky surprise. Her canine body language is impeccable. I just wish she felt as confident with humans. Buster is really doing pretty well. He took a field trip to the pasture today too. The hacking is much less but still with him. He does play out.