Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Mayhem on the Rez

There have been cop cars "running hot" toward Ethete (or beyond) for about two hours. That usually means a gun is involved. The dogs are in for the evening, my trees stand between me and the road so we are relatively secure.

I found a large flat snake in the road when I went to fetch the mail. A bullsnake I believe. I inspected pretty closely but it had been been pretty badly mangled. I need to get some snakeshot for the .22 although the .410 does a pretty good job. It is just such an antique, it worries me a little. It was an antique when I got it in 1956.

I found the box for my stolen pistol and called Jimenez Arms to see which number was the serial number and they seemed so head-shy that it was hard to get them to tell me. Wikipedia revealed that Jiminez is the successor company to Bryco and Browning arms-which have been the major manufactory of so-called "Saturday Night Specials." My replacement pistol is a Browning. Browning was sued and had to pay 24 million in a lawsuit (the facts as written in the Wiki makes their liability a stretch) Jiminez was the Plant Manager for Browning and bought the company for $510,000.00 after the lawsuit. In any case, I called Marion, IL PD and gave them the serial number of the stolen gun. They were reeaallee glad to get it. Uhuh.

Washed and waxed two more vehicles today. The Lindy RV awaits and I think it will await some more. I washed and waxed it in October. The other ones turned out pretty nice.

I had to run get more heart medicine for Buster and Thea said she wished her grampa Floyd was taking it. He was in the hospital for a week with Congestive Heart Failure but is out and about now. No meds. Floyd is a neighbor and the news he has been in the hospital will produce the entire gamut of human emotions up and down the road but not in the same person.

Janet wants me to enter one of my pictures in the Cattlewomen's contest at the fair. Maybe we'll win a prize! No cash, just glory. Got me off my duff to order a photo printer-a refurb of the same model I have in Florida that I paid a pretty penny for-now available for $39.00. Talk about mixed emotions: yay for the bargain butI now own two forty dollar printers.