Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, December 26, 2008

Tim Calls It a Wahoo, I call It Dinner

This taken at noon today, ended up in our tummies at 6:00 p.m. Fresh Wahoo, which is a flavorful fish with a texture more like meat than fish. What with Tim's plate and fused spine he had to have help landing it but the experience was exhilarating for him. He was grinning. Greg and Lew were invited for dinner but only Greg showed up. Lew is trying to quit smoking the old-fashioned way. Greg had a huge fight with the campground management over a "dog at large" ticket. He said he was leaving the campground yakety, yakety, and since Lew comes to visit his very aged parents he was upset. Lew decided some peace and quiet would be more nourishing than fresh Wahoo. Greg did take him some Ghirardelli Chocolate I hauled out for dessert. Call me at 2:00 for dinner at 6:00, merits no more than a sweet morsel for an ending. Wahoo Almondine with red bell pepper garni; Baby greens and hearts of romaine salad with mandarin oranges, topped with Raspberry/walnut vinaigrette; and jasmine rice with butter was the best I could do on such short notice. Part of me is enjoying cooking again, part of me is counting the days before Tim vamooses to the other coast and goes back to work.

I did buy Lew a Chanukah present- a tower of stars at Hoffmann's Chocolate factory partly because it seems fair to honor other traditions and partly because I had never bought anyone a Chanukah present before. He pronounces the ch -it is kind of like clearing your throat. Greg says has has to resist offering the rabbi a tissue with all the "ch's." Made me laugh.

They will work it out. I do not believe their relationship has a sexual dimension- though it makes no difference to me and I don't spend a lot of time imagining ANY of my friend's bedroom antics (nano-seconds before the heebie jeebies set in), but as friend Delores says, cohabitating is the hardest thing you will ever do.
Posted by Picasa