Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Start Slow, Finish Slow

The intent was just to enjoy the day, finish a few Christmas purchases and veg out on a fair and sunny day. My shoulders have been sore for a couple of weeks and my left hand is numb on the outside and practically useless-weak. May be carpal something . NSAIDs and rest seemed reasonable. I am scaled way back on the gift giving save for immediate family. Money is tight and no obligations are gifts in themselves. Lori gave me some suggestions since I asked and I did those. They are quite generous to me and I am clueless in shopping for the well-off.

Tim wandered by with a sack full of Dolphin (Mahi, mahi- not Flipper). I invited Greg and Lew for dinner but they declined-they had steaks in the fridge but might stop by for dessert. I went to the big Publix in Lantana and K-Mart. I couldn't face WalMart even for the savings. I found everything I needed at good prices. The ritzy Publix is often cheaper than my little neighborhood one. I got a nifty small rice cooker/steamer for $10.00 at KMart. I had hit the Internet for Mahi recipes and needed a few ingredients.

I impressed Tim with Mahi cooked two ways: traditional with toasted pecans, and with Cajun/maple syrup glaze and glazed onions.. Both were very good. I served my marinated mushroom salad, jasmine rice, grilled hearts of romaine drizzled with olive oil, Chicago rolls, and store bought brownies. I blew the top off my little grill lighting it. That was impressive too. Tim was raving about the meal but he was also nearly paralytic with his meds and alcohol. I shan't get a big head about my culinary skills until I hear the same review in the glare of morning sunshine.
Greg called pleading an upset stomach so they did not come to share dessert. I listened to my iPod on my boombox, in the dark screenhouse, which was a very pleasant thing to do.