Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, December 12, 2008

Decorating in the Dark

Grey, overcast, after a rainy day yesterday so we went shopping to PetSmart for chains-Honey ate through another leash in a matter of minutes this morning. And she has already eaten through the nylon handle of the chain leash I got this morning.
PetSmart makes me smile because pets are welcome and people do bring them. The variety of things available also makes me smile. I did a little Christmas shopping for Juneau and Milo as well as my pups. Walmart was next door and I picked up some cleaning supplies, and drinking water and shopped for a sound system having cleared dances with the management. The former volunteers are threatening a work stoppage because their perks went away. They can sulk if they want to- I came to have fun. That said - the equipment I wanted is not in stock. There is still time.

I visited with Tim for awhile-he did an interview for a spot job today. I gave Milo his present and we shared our pupcorn treats with him. Patsy came by to invite me to Vespers and I took some wine Lori had pressed on me- only a glass gone from a $38.00 dollar bottle of Riesling. Patsy and I declared it very good and we polished it off. She and Marilyn are easy to visit with. Hal and Joe came in about six. Joe can be a stitch- a charming Irishman-and they can be really charming. He makes me laugh.

I was feeling no pain when I got home and decided that decorating for Christmas was best done in the dark. A visit to Home Depot for bedding plants this afternoon yielded some great petunias and some cheap Christmas ornaments. I have a nice island of mulch with three palm trees in my yard. I had conceived a scheme while completely sober. It included a lighted deer. The Home Depot ones were $70.00 which I deemed a bit steep. I decided to try Big Lots and scored one marked down to $16.00. Assembling it in the dark was the only real challenge of the evening. My efforts produced a cheerful if less than meticulous product. I am surrounded by anal-retentives so I think my free-spirited display is really good for the neighborhood. I will re-assess in the morning but I am inclined to let it be.
Posted by Picasa