Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Honey has an Adventure

I stupidly stepped out to do some work in the screenhouse, turned my back on Honey and turned around and she was trotting toward the lake. John the campground (all dogs must be leashed!) manager said "She's taking a walk!" She was on a trot, I was on a fast waddle. We played hide and seek in the bushes-I tried to trap her and she was off again. I finally figured out I was no agility match for her and had reached the "If the dog catcher gets her-he can keep her," stage. But I did go unload the bike, grabbed a leash and set out. A Palm Beach Sheriff's car drove by with amber lights flashing and the deputy grinned and said "I see the leash- I think that one is yours." Honey was scooting for the RV. She had found half of a used rawhide chew and was so proud of herself. She knew she was in trouble and headed right in. As she was home I could apply no consequence but I was hot. She tried the same trick later and I grabbed her by the tail and gave it a good yank-she yelped I was glad.

On a positive note, her leash work is improving by leaps and bounds with two long walks every day. We saw Al and Snickers and stopped to see Ted and his wife. He is my very first John Prince friend- 80 something and still gardening like crazy. Greg stopped by to bring me a candy bar after he slaved all day sealing "Pops" driveway down in Boynton. A sweet surprise.

Things are moving apace with the settling-in aside from a distraction or two. Grocery shopped today and was greeted warmly by my Indian (Hindu-type) friends at the liquor store where I buy cigs and lottery tickets. Refrigerators are working and if it is December Coastal RV needs to come repair the leak under my sink. I am about 100 feet from the bathhouse though so no big whoop until Mike can make it.