Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Going to the Mat With the Brat

Early on today I heard Honey barking at a distance and went looking. She was having a fine time harrassing Fegler's just returned cattle in the corral. I yelled at her but she seemed to take that as encouragement to do even more. I finally got her out and back to the house. Less than thirty minutes later she was at it again. The quickest way to doggie heaven is tormenting cows in this neck of the woods so I was in high dudgeon. I would get close and she would duck under the fence and smile at me. This went on for awhile and she was starting to realize there was a problem. I got her back to the yard without calling her and did a takedown-flat on her back, scolding all the while. She did not like it one bit, nor did I. She has been good as gold all the rest of the day. As I was working in the van I felt her squirm past and get in, beating Buster who was all upset she might get his spot. I have no illusion it is done but the reminder seems to have been salutary.

Some days I take my diuretic and wonder if it is working. Today there was no doubt. It was wearying. Twice in twenty minutes at Wal-Mart.Blood sugar is high but just borderline. I was going to go to town tomorrow but since the dogs were in...I had to replace the jumpstart/backup power supply. The old one is several years old and it seemed weak when I charged it up recently-it worked but faded fast. It finally faded period. I will re-jigger some wiring too, as a wall socket is not going to be available lots of days. Charge it on the go. There are lots of gadgets to light up but they all draw in the milliamp range.

The John Prince Campers website is coming along. Lots of trial and error and more do-overs than I anticipated. It should get easier as I learn more. A long way to go but there is enough to share: http://sites.google.com/site/jppcampers/

Of course putting the swamp cooler away produced a roasty toasty day after the morning chill left.