Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Only In Wyoming?

Back to town to get the Dodge worked on. I say worked on because the parting words of the Service Manager were not encouraging. We are going to the mat.

But before the discouraging words I went to the Trailhead-I had lunch today. I no sooner got settled when my yesterday waitress started to visit and I reviewed my yesterday breakfast choices for her-then she said I would be happy and I said "You found my $60." They had. I had been two more places when I made the discovery yesterday and thought it no use to call. Cash is usually gone in a New York minute. But the two waitesses found it, preserved it, refused a reward. I am a good tipper but I outdid myself today. Pretty refreshing and I like to think a "Wyoming" thing.

A gray day that finally bore rain and chilliness but not before I got some outdoor chores done. I feel like it could snow any day now.

A nice bonus of Richard being married is I no longer get a nightly phone call. I figured out a long time ago they were not for my benefit. Richard can't stand to be alone. Now we have a weekly or twice weekly call and we have things to talk about. A real conversation about events. Much nicer-quality over quantity- less is more- yada, yada.

Something dangerous this way came. Last night was warm and sultry so the curtain dog door was open. Honey was out but pretty quiet. Suddenly she was on the bed and panting-excited, she wanted me to go out and I did. Buster all of a sudden erupted. I could see nothing. They stayed out and Buster's alarm bark was in full voice. The neighbor dogs were also agitated in every direction. We occasionally get a bear or mountain lion coming down the river. I suspect but do not know that something along that line made a traversal of our property. I stayed up for awhile and folded. The Honey bear crept in the bed sometime in the night-a stealth snuggler.

BUT, I am not like my friends who spent some time in Story, Wyoming a few weeks ago and found animal scat so impressive in the yard where they stayed, that they took it back to Casper, contacted the Game and Fish Department, who called in their head Turd Inspector who pronounced its origin as a large deer albeit one who had been dining on tall grass and flowers. I didn't even know you could do that. Would have loved to hear the phone call. That is another thing that is good about Wyoming, to twist Will Rogers' famous aphorism "We are all quirky except on different topics."

("Everybody is ignorant, except on different subjects." W. Rogers)