Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, September 06, 2008

Puttering and Tinkering

Fall is in the air. The dogs are too frisky and I have that fall "getting ready for winter" restlessness. My camping chair project is working out in a Rube Goldberg/Red Green way. A sturdy wire frame makes an upper-body canopy for mosquito netting and rain fly (show me $1.00 shower curtain liners, and I'll find a use for them.) I believe the dogs will find adequate shelter beneath the chair. A bit dorky, yes. Do I give a darn? No.

The new phone replacement/upgrade has spawned a spurt of gadget mania-with mixed emotions. The new model has some improvements but I have both resented and enjoyed getting it up to speed. I would much rather have just continued on with the old one. Re-downloading and installing paid-for software and literature after a year's forgetting has been a little frustrating. But I think I am close to being up to to speed. I was dreading keyboarding 168 phone book/contact entries and called Radio Shack. They have a machine! I put the sunroof back on the VW and took advantage of the opportunity. Unfortunately it put them in last name first- an adjustment. Verizon decided that using this phone for a tethered modem would merit a $15.00 a month premium. I snottily declined. The old phone worked with this and it is clear that Verizon wants the standard fee to be for email only-so cleverly they have hidden their web software. I have developed very satisfactory workarounds. I didn't want the old phone to crap out on me- I don't see why my loss should be compounded. So there!

Matt called and we had a good long gab. His company has a security job guarding the migrant pear-pickers. So he was being Check-point Charlie in the middle of a pear orchard tonight. Time to talk. It was great. Sounds like Audrey is keeping him on his toes. They are working on "no whining." The other day Matt asked her, "Do I hear whining?' "No, I was speaking Spanish!" Hard to be a disciplinarian when you are rolling on the floor, laughing.