Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Dead Batteries

My electrolytes were messed up-water was low too. I felt lousy and the short term memory was nano memory until I got things balanced. Likewise the Ford Van with a battery one year and one month old was a non-starter after a two day sit twice this week. The Motorola Q had a white screen error. The dogs wandered into the house about 4:00 p.m. and I made a break for it. NAPA replaced the van battery for FREE, Radio Shack replaced the cell phone battery for $61.00. The Q is a great device but it is a battery eater. I had other chores on my list and I think I got them all done-my list is on a shelf at Wal-Mart. I have been housebound too much for my own good with the new baby but this is only one summer and I truly have enjoyed being home on the homestead-for the most part.

I checked in on John Prince Park and I am still good. I started in the persona of Hans from Germany but finally told Lisa who I was. She gave me good advice. I can kill a few more days and gain them on the end. My vacation extender arrived today. Not sure how the reservation situation would turn out I planned to dawdle on the way home. Last year I invested in a Van tent but it was not the answer. It resulted in more cursing than shelter. The new solution? An inflatable tent. Supposedly erects in two minutes. We'll see about that tomorrow. I have also been modifying my zero gravity Cabela's lounger that rides between my bike and the van. It needed some padding head and heel, and I figured out a way to attach a bug shield-mosquito netting of sorts. On fair nights it will suffice. Honey already settles under it when I use it. Buster settles to my right. It may fit in the tent, we will see but I have options.

The nervousness of two tropical storms forming in Florida had Lisa on edge. A good reminder that plans can change and more important things than my winter plans are out there. I came in on the tail of massive devastation a few years ago.