Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Observing the Natal Day

I arose early to keep an eye on the dogs. They stay on this side of the road if I do. Coffee and Kindle on the deck. I saw the dogs playing in the water/mud and did a few chores. Buster managed to ditch his new harness someplace. He has big shoulders and a small head so I don't think a collar will work but I'll try one.

Son Matt called early as did brother Rich. He and Valerie are going to drive up and take me to lunch tomorrow. I will enjoy the visit but I fear it is because of my comment the other day about another family member, saying I had done a lot for that person and nothing ever comes back so I was finished. Let me explain: I enjoy doing for others and I don't expect a return. But a relationship by definition is two-sided. If you behave as if they are important and they do not regard you highly, there is an unhealthy dynamic at work and it is better to look elsewhere. Balance and proportion. There is a whole section of psychology on Co-Dependence. Charming alcoholic and faithful partner is but one manifestation. It is harmful for the faithful partner to enable the alcoholic. Harmful both to himself and to the alcoholic who will hit rock bottom and take steps to health sooner without somebody shoring him up. That is the classic example but co-dependence can take many forms subtle and grand. It ends when one person sees what is happening and says "enough." "Sink or swim, stand on your own two feet, cowboy up, get it together, call me when you get a life." (Now how in the Hell did I end up here?)

Anyway, I had a great day-did my winterizing chores, downloaded some books, read a little,heard from my kids who were all doing interesting things. Matt is looking at solarizing his home and collecting a tax break. He was emceeing two events today. Jason and Lori were hanging out and are looking at business opportunities while watching a group of Manatees in the canal. So good to talk and listen with them all.

The O.F. set up Blue Cross on the billpay (Isn't that what you are supposed to do on your 65th?) and had a picnic with the fuzzfaces: A nice little pork loin, a sweet potato, baked beans, and in lieu of a cake, Ritz Crackers with peanut butter which were enjoyed all around. A pill found its way into one of Honey's and it disappeared.

Lunch with Rich and Val tomorrow, party at Hall's next weekend, partay on!

Mother Nature blessed me with a beautiful day and nice things to see. Glad to have attained 65 years on the planet and looking forward to more. When I was 17 I played Frank Butler to hefty Annette Bridgman's "Annie" in "Annie Get Your Gun." While I had a hard time keeping a straight face singing "A girl I can carry." Annette sang this one (done here by Barbara Cook)It's a great one. Now that I am 65 I am going to bore the hell out of everybody with my tired old memories. (jokes, no.)