Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Friday, August 22, 2008

Build a Better Mousetrap

A better shot of one of several hummingbirds who have discovered the nectar. I think this is a female-the more brilliant colored males are very wary.

I must have had a fever in the night-it broke and I awoke feeling pretty spry after getting rid of the soaked shirt. Started the new batch of diuretics and moved a LOT of water. The Olympics aren't the only ones with a Champeein'.

I had to corral Honey because she was just wild-feeling her oats. But then she had a couple of coughing spells. I wonder if she picked up kennel cough at the Vet. I checked her stitches-they look pretty good to my untrained eye. She is still vigilant- sheriff of the upper forty acres, but the all night barking is gone. She comes when called (more often- up from not at all) and enjoys a cuddle without dissolving into a chew dad wrestling match. She looks like she is entirely focussed on the pasture but if I go away, here she comes.

I played with the Kindle and had to call customer service. They are very nice then follow up with an e-mail pointing out exactly what page in the manual your question was discussed. A little humbling but if it weren't for the likes of me, the likes of them wouldn't have jobs. Amazon could learn from Apple iTunes. Very direct, not a six stage process like for Amazon. Then I read. I had good mail. A joint birthday celebration- mine, and Don Hall's next weekend. I will look forward to that. Good emails too.

UPS brought the fancy e-vest as ordered and it is better than I anticipated. It fits pretty well, zips, is long enough to hide the "plumber's butt, " and has pockets to spare. Only thing is, only half loaded it weighs a lot. ( "Great looking vest but how did you get the hunchback?") It is very well made and has some thoughtful details- a built in key chain, a lens cleaner on a clip, cards in every pocket suggesting a good use. Teflon coated. Worth it.

David in Florida say the RV is fine-it has just been rain. Jackie at John Prince Park says there is still room in my desired section-the waiting game continues....

At 9:01 tomorrow morning 65 years ago, I arrived weeks late and weighed in at a little over 9 pounds. The pattern was set in the womb. Must have been all those Martinis. World War II was at full tilt. The folks had 78's with Tommy Dorsey, Glen Miller, Jimmy Yancey, Boogie Woogie, and a little ditty that had the lyrics "Cement Mixer, putty, putty,"( click the link to listen) http://jeweledplatypus.org/sound/cementmixer.mp3 that had nothing to do with the building trades. They were 32 years old. My brother Bob was 5. This was our house:
Posted by Picasa