Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Rapture

As a frequent flyer at Amazon.com, I have been very aware of their new flagship device, the Kindle. T-o-o-o-o pricey. So I was blown out my shoes when UPS brought a package this morning and a gift from Jason and Lori that was a Kindle. What is a Kindle? It connects to Amazon (there is the catch) and you can download Kindle Books- which are electronic editions priced a good deal lower than print books. You can download from their website or when near a Sprint Network, over the air, in usually less than a minute. You can also subscribe to newspapers, magazines, websites, get email, surf the web in kind of a basic way, and load it with some of your favorite music-about the only thing Amazon doesn't have a lock on. It comes with a handsome cover that looks like a hardbound book. The basic memory holds about 200 books but Amazon keeps your purchases on file so you can make room if you need it. Of course, I slapped a 2 gigabyte card in it right away so thousands are possible. About the size of a large paperback book and similar in weight, it is good for about two weeks of straight reading on a charge and two or three days if you use the built in aircard to connect to the Internet frequently. It really is quite amazing. It held my attention quite intently for hours. I downloaded sixteen volumes for the grand sum of $1.14- just practicing. Most Best-Sellers go for about $10.00. Of course the hackers have devised a way to convert other non-Amazon formats. So I have a challenge. I'm feeling very spoiled.

The invalid is doing quite well. Improving by the hour but she has already become calmer and sweeter. Nicer to me and to Buster. Maybe she still hurts but not much. I gave her one half a Deramaxx which is good until tomorrow or the next day. The Cephalexin is a battle. I have only managed about one half what is prescribed before the pills collapse. When you shove them down her throat you better feel for a sphincter because the girl can summon them right back up. She has seen through every food trick I know. Enjoys the treat and leaves a soggy little pill. But she is obviously doing well. Buster didn't even get an antibiotic for his operation but it was not internal surgery either. Buster's thyroid level is just fine at the two pill a day level. So he is getting too much to eat. He has a bump/sore on his reconstructed foot that the vet would like to laser off.
Posted by Picasa