Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Modern Steed

I noticed some cattle of a different color in the lower pasture yesterday. Sure enough, the Feglers arrived on 4-wheelers to drive them back to their nemesis, the Collins, place. Collins tend to like the exotic in their cattle. Some white ones were down there. It seems that nearly every year one of the Fegler's cows throws an off-color calf. As there are some claims that humans in the valley "jumped the fence" a couple of times over the past 80 years, I sometimes wonder if a message is being sent. "Catch-colt" is the Indian term for a person (or horse) of unknown paternal heritage.

We three were at G-bar-G Veterinary Services before the office opened this morning. Honey went in for a sedative and her surgery. They took some dewclaws that prove to be problematic for Pyrs, as a bonus. I was to return to fetch her at 3:00 and get some attention for Buster-checkups. I was in the doghouse all damn day. Buster and I no sooner returned and he was wanting to go in the car again. "You forgot somebody!" He lay and watched me all day-eyes never closing, reproaching. The Honey bear is of course still some groggy and sore. I got her meds down her by handfeeding chicken breast. Buster had to be kept even-they ate my dinner. Honey is doing alright but I feel a great deal of sympathy and she knows it. Veterinary surgery has come a long way in the last 15 years. The sutures are on the inside and self dissolving. She does not have to go back unless complications arise.

The mail lady brought me my new shoes-Dr. Scholl's gunboats- 14-D's are hard to find so the web does it. I require Velcro fasteners because the size of my feet is a daily surprise. Two pair for one price on some fetching tenny-runners. I'll bet I could run 50 miles an hour in those. If I wanted to. But I don't.

I made a stop at ACE hardware. The nippy mornings remind me some winterizing on the plumbing is necessary. I ran into a student I had in one of my schools years ago. Shawna is fit- muscular, and told me of her three grandchildren. Grandchildren! I am older than dirt.

Exchanged email with the Florida kids. Their swimming pool is now an infinity pool-8 inches of rain from Tropical Storm Fay has it running over. They have had continuous electricity so are doing fine. I'll call David Alvarez tomorrow and see how the RV is faring.

My friendly little garden snake surpr....., startl.., scared the shit out of me today-he has grown! Still, I like him and as long as he is here that other kind isn't.

Posted by Picasa