Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Monday, August 11, 2008

Mr. Crankypants

Mr. Crankypants arrived in full yesterday. If I had received a call saying I had won the lottery I would have been looking for the downside. I am usually Dr. Pangloss based on Voltaire's character in the picaresque novel Candide. I took steps later in the day and am much better today. The problem with Crankypants stopping by is he has some valid points. They don't just disappear. Pangloss has to work on dealing, explaining away or ignoring. I'll skip the details but I did take under advisement Crankypants exhortation to start keeping score.

While I was awaiting Crankypants full arrival I worked in the Lindy on my music and iPod. Only spent a little but I had lots of classical music to get on there. I should have known Cranky was on his way when I started on Wednesday to have a hankering for Olivier Messiaen's organ music which I did download. It is big washes of impressionistic sound-very abstract, not particularly tuneful but it puts my mind in a transcendental place.-kind of like whale songs. I can't find Aram Khatchaturian's First Piano Concerto to download. It used to take me down and lead me through the other side.

I got a postcard from France-the senders are back already and evidently there is a place in France where the women wear no pants. The mail lady is going to be so bored when I croak or she has already tipped off Homeland Security. Speaking of croaking I have to get a Facebook page. Every time I turn around I read where some miscreant has left tell-tale clues on their Facebook page or "tributes are being left on Mr. X's Facebook page." Mine will just say "reserved for tributes." Then there will be some "Woof, woof, woof, arf, arf's" and a few "Yipe yipe's,'maybe a grrr or two. Mr. Crankypants will have taken care of the rest.

Another beautiful day here in paradise. It seems early but I seem to feel the season turning a bit- coolness... and the vegetation gets a certain look to it. The geese are on the move. Another squadron came through today. The Sandhill Cranes were squawking to beat the band this morning. A solitary hummingbird came to reproach me on the deck day before yesterday and I put nectar out and no-takers. Did I read that they travel with the geese?