Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Dining in Solidarity

I don't believe there is anybody who isn't concerned with the economy. I am a fan of Barbara Ehrenrich (Nickeled and Dimed and other sociological studies) as well as a child of hard times and college days. In Florida I see old ladies buying their cat food and rice. Eve, my former wife, told me a year ago that her investments and pension would support her until she is 101 and she intended to go for it. Recently she said that with present outflow she was down to age 77 before the money gave out. Dr. Leo Sprinkle years ago taught me how to do constructive worrying so I make my decision trees and rehearse the worst scenario until I say: "I can do this." This week has been "dining like a Wal-Mart worker." It hasn't been bad and I am good at pinching pennies:
Monday: Burger King big kids meal double hamburger $2.89. (fries and fruit punch included) The toy was kind of crappy.
Tuesday: "Ramen spaghetti"- prepare noodles as directed ( leave in hot water a little longer to increase bulk-throw nasty sauce packet away), 1/3rd jar of Ragu Spaghetti sauce, spices on hand. 14 cents for noodles plus about 40 cents worth of sauce. 54 cents per serving.
Wednesday:" Beanie Weenies"- 1 package of 8 Bar S franks ( chicken beaks and all ) $1.00. 1 can Great Value pork and beans 52 cents. $1.52 for the meal but it also made lunch on Thursday so it is 76 cents per serving.
Thursday: Splurge- 1 pound of soon-to-be-tossed lean ground beef, on sale at $3.00. 2 cups of Great Value quick brown rice 50 cents, rest of the Ragu, 80 cents. Spices on hand. $4.30 for the meal but there is plenty of "Italian casserole" left for lunch tomorrow so we'll say $2.15 per meal.

Nutritional analysis: high in fat, very high in sodium. That is why, Phil Gramm, America has fat poor people. Potatoes are $1.18 per single. Five a day? Don't make me laugh. Red grapes are on sale at 98 cents per pound (season low) and they have been the snack food this week.

Evidence of cheating and a tip for good living: If you put a few Hershey kisses in your shirt pocket and grab your Harper's Magazine and head for the lawn chair for your 15 minutes of vitamin D sunshine (still free), eat the kisses right away or when you wake up, your shirt pocket will be a mess