Picaresque

Picaresque is the adjective to describe writings about a common or low character who survives the pitfalls of life through luck or good fortune. My travels, interests, my animals, my photographs, my wonderful friends and family are featured.

Name:
Location: Arapahoe, Wyoming, United States

(Note: Blogs read from bottom to top; scroll down for beginnings, scroll up for most current.) After 30 years in public administration and four degrees, as well as numerous workshops with luminaries in Education and Public Policy, life in a slower lane became a goal. Most recently I have done policy writing and consulting for the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone Tribes. Mostly, I am just coasting slowly and gently downhill these days-seeking joy where I can find it before the glorious ride ends.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

More Coyotes

At first light the Honey girl was off the mark and Buster was fretting so, still rubbing the sleepy dust from my eyes, I went to see. The coyotes were singing and Honey was in the corner barking at a Russian Olive copse. The singing was coming from another direction. Eventually I saw this coyote and two pups letting the world know they were in the territory. This is an 18X Olympus shot-from quite a distance. After a lot of verbal back and forth, the morning settled down.

Honey is going in for an operation in the morning. She is definitely in pre-estrus. Moody, bossy, off her chow somewhat, aggressive when she is not completely conked. I know neutering is the right thing to do but it still bothers me. The ASPCA says there is no "ticking clock"-it is all cycling and she won't miss what she doesn't know could be happening. Whether she will mellow out is a toss-up. Goodie did, Buster did, become loving little companions but that is kind of the rub. And I suppose there is some projection-my life might have been smoother sailing without the testicles but I am still glad I have them. A little wildness is a good thing. And it is surgery...stuff can happen.

The rain created great conditions for mosquito breeding. I got several bites yesterday as I was doing outside chores. I fogged around and sprayed too. The irrigation water is down to a garden head and I am spreading it around the place as best I can-soaking where I can reach.

I have been taking care of presents- a birth in the family and an upcoming wedding and doing a little shopping for me too. A pricy vest thingy with 19 pockets on the inside- a gadget lovers dream: even wire holes for the iPod. Its the perfect thing for the man who has everything and won't leave home without it. It will probably just make me look lumpier. Maybe if I pack it right it will fill out the lumps and make me look hunkier. Maybe it won't button...maybe it will go back.

Posted by Picasa